3 tablespoons olive oil (and some more if needed)
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 2 chicken breasts, cut into one inch pieces
8 oz chorizo sausage sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 large, sweet, red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of fresh thyme or fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
2 cups long grain rice
1 can (796ml) diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 lb medium or large shrimp
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions and parsley (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large, oven proof pot. Brown the chicken and then the chorizo. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Add more oil to the pot if needed to cook the onion, celery and red pepper until soft.
3. When the vegetables are soft, add the garlic, thyme or oregano, salt, cayenne and bay leaves.
4. Add the rice coating it with the mixture.
5. Stir in the diced tomatoes, broth and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
6. Mix in the browned sausage and chicken pieces.
7. Transfer the pot to a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or simmer on the stove top, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender.
8. The shrimp is added in the last ten minutes of cooking time or cooked in a skillet and then added when jambalaya is done.
9. Sprinkle chopped green onion and parsley on top before serving if you like.
Tip: Instead of canned tomatoes and tomato paste, you can use marinara sauce.