These delicious brownies are gluten and dairy free as well as vegan friendly. I found this treasured recipe at the kitchenmccabe.com. I changed very little of the original recipe.
1 and 1/2 cup oat flour
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water (let sit for five minutes) or one egg
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup espresso coffee or any strong coffee
1/3 cup of vegetable or canola oil (or coconut oil melted)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional: 1 cup dark chocolate chips ( I don’t include them as the brownies are very rich but the McCabe Kitchen does)
1. Preheat the oven 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk together flax egg, coconut milk, espresso, oil, applesauce and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
5. Fold in chocolate chips if using.
6. Pour the batter into the pan, put into heated oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out clean. (Check after 30 minutes in the oven).
7. Cool and cut into squares. Store in airtight container.